On behalf of the members of the scientific committee and the President of ISM, we are pleased to inform you about the strategies for our annual meeting: 5th World Congress on Targeting Microbiota, which will be held in Berlin, Germany on October 26-27, 2017.
We took on consideration the conclusion of our past meeting which was held at Institut Pasteur, Paris last October 2016 and the valuable remarks and conclusion presented by Pr Peter Konturek. We decided to underline and target the following strategies:
- Can we modulate the quality and diversity of human microbiota?
- How to induce durable beneficial changes in gut microbiota? What is the importance for prevention and therapy of IBS, IBD, CRC and other GI and liver diseases?
- Where is the red line of the gut microbiota manipulation?
- What are the strategic mediators of gut microbiota?
- How to understand better the role of bacterial metabolites?
- What is the perfect microbiota "signature" and how to use it as a biomarker to "predict" and/or treat many diseases?
- More studies on small intestine microbiota are needed: different composition and more dynamic variation compared with the colon
- What is the impact of non-bacterial components on host health: viruses, protozoa, fungi?
- Challenges of microbiota sequencing and analyzing: How to interprete the results and where is the golden standard?
- Additional studies urgently needed from Asia, Africa and South America
- Challenges of microbiota-host cross-talk understanding and intestinal microbiome signaling to extraintestinal organs
- Exact role in the immune tolerance (allergic diseases)
- Role of lung microbiota (asthma and other chronic diesases of the lung)
- Role of microbiota brain gut axis in functional diseases of GI tract and psychiatric and neurologic diseases
- Impact of gut microbiota on NASH, obesity and diabetes mellitus
- Contribution of gut microbiota to the development of autoimmune diseases
- Role of gut microbiota in the pathogenesis of skin diseases (gut-skin axis)
- Role of gut microbiota in the pathogenesis osteoporosis (gut-bone axis)
- Contribution of gut microbiota to neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer‘s disease, Parkinsons‘s disease)
- Microbiota & medicine of tomorrow: Development of effective therapeutic strategies to manipulate the gut microbiota
- Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (attributes of the optimal donor, optimal mode of delivery, designed microbiota-based capsule)
- New pre- and probiotics (single vs consortium)
- Bacterial metabolites: the pharmaceutical challenge
Of course, we are open to any new ideas, suggestions and topics from all of you.
All our best.
Pr Marvin Edeas
Chairman of ISM Scientific Committee
Cochin Institute-INSERM 1016
University Paris Descartes