We chosed Berlin for our congress because this city has a lot to offer, a great diversity of activities, events, nightlife and shopping.
Interesting shops and monuments in Berlin:
Berlin offers multiple attractions such as museums, historical buildings, parks, theaters. Visit the Reichstag and the Brandenburger Tor in the heart of Berlin. You can enjoy shopping at Kurfürstendamm or Friedrichstraße or visit remains of the Berlin wall at the East Side Gallery and at Checkpoint Charlie ...
- Museums: Visit the famous Museum Island in the centre of Berlin with the old museum, the new museum, the old national gallery, the Bode museum and the world-famous Pergammon museum. Detailed information for these museums and all other museums in Berlin are available here.
- Berlin TV tower: from more than 200 metres high you can look out over the entire city.
- Government district with the Reichstag, Bundestag and Kanzleramt.
- Checkpoint Charlie (historical crossing point between east and west Berlin).
- East Side Gallery: located along the banks of the river Spree in Frie-drichshain it is the longest segment of the Berlin Wall that is still standing. Right after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the East Side Gallery was painted by 118 artists from 21 different countries.
Or maybe you want to discover Berlin going on a boat tour along the Spree river ? More information here about sightseeing in Berlin.
Probably the most central of all Berlin shopping malls, the Potsdamer Platz Arkaden offers visitors shopping on 3 floors with over 120 different shops.
Although fashion shops (H&M, Hallhuber, Mango, Zara, Mexx, Esprit etc) make up the majority of the shops, there really is something for everyone here, including a number of quality restaurants and cafes.
Located right next to Potsdamerplatz, the mall is best reached by public transport:
PANORAMAPUNKT is a viewing platform that also has its own exhibition and cafeteria. Located on the top floor of the Kollhoff Tower in the Potsdamer Platz square, it offers one of the most impressive views over Berlin. Since it was officially opened in 1999 it has received over 3 million visitors.
At a height of over 100 metres the multimedia exhibition, "BERLINER BLICKE auf den Potsdamer Platz," tells the story of the Potsdamer Platz. There are probably very few places in the world that have had to undergo so many changes in the past. On floors 24 and 25 spectacular installations and historical content allow visitors to experience the actual changes that took place in the square just below their feet. Nearly 300 years of Berlin's history within the Postdamer Platz are recreated with the film and photo compositions and 20 lighted glass panels on display in the building.
Tickets can be booked online at: http://www.panoramapunkt.de/de/online-tickets.html
All details available here:http://www.oh-berlin.com/en/oh-berlin/2698/tourist-guide/sightseeing/panoramapunkt-berlin/
Public transport in Berlin
The public transport in Berlin and its surroundings is managed by the public transport company BVG. The best and most popular options are the “U-Bahn” (metro) and the “S-Bahn” (fast train), as well as the bus service. BVG also runs the “Tram”, “Metrobus” and several other services
For visitors, the metro in Berlin can often be quite puzzling. Like the S-Bahn it runs both over and underground, but it is just these little differences that make Berlin unique. The “U-Bahn”in Berlin has 10 different lines. All the lines except the U4 and U55 run over the weekend and the evening before bank holidays.
Berlin City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Berlin hop-on hop-off tour allows you to hop-on and off as many times as you like aboard open top double decker buses. There are 16 stops around Berlin, and buses departs every 10 minutes in Summer or 15 minutes in Winter. The continuous route without hopping-off is 2 hours and a guided commentary in 13 languages is available. Tickets are valid for 48 hours from first use. Many must-see Berlin attractions are easily accessible enroute including Checkpoint Charlie, Berliner Dom (Cathedral), Pergamon Museum, Brandenburg Gate and the enchanting Charlottenburg Palace.
All details available here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/germany/berlin/activities/hop-on-hop/berlin-city-hop?lpaffil=fbta1
You can also visit the following hotels' links:
- Palace Hotel: www.palace.de
- Intercontinental: www.berlin.intercontinental.com
- Hollywood Media Hotel: www.filmhotel.de
- Crowne Plaza: www.cp-berlin.com
- Novotel: www.novotel.com
To get further infomation about Berlin, please contact: